By Jessica Berman
A spouse to Virginia Woolf is an intensive exam of her existence, paintings, and a number of contexts in 33 essays written through major students within the field.
- Contains insightful and provocative new scholarship and sketches out new instructions for destiny research
- Approaches Woolf’s writing from quite a few views and disciplines, together with modernism, post-colonialism, queer conception, animal reports, electronic humanities, and the law
- Explores the a number of trajectories Woolf’s paintings travels around the globe, from the Bloomsbury crew, and the Hogarth Press to India and Latin America
- Situates Woolf experiences on the forefront of latest literature scholarship and the recent modernist studies
Read or Download A Companion to Virginia Woolf (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
Selection extraordinary educational name 2014In Poe and the Subversion of yankee Literature, Robert T. Tally Jr. argues that Edgar Allan Poe is healthier understood, now not simply as a skilled artist or canny magazinist, yet essentially as a realistic joker who employs satire and fable to poke enjoyable at an emergent nationalist discourse circulating within the usa.
Shakespeare's sonnets and A Lover's criticism represent a wealthy tapestry of rhetorical play approximately Renaissance love in all its guises. an important strand of this non secular alchemy is operating the 'metal' of the brain via meditation on love, reminiscence paintings and extreme mind's eye. Healy demonstrates how this technique of anguished soul paintings – construed as necessary to encouraged poetic making – is woven into those poems, accounting for his or her such a lot enigmatic imagery and urgency of tone.
Literary historians and critics who've written at the impact of Racine in England throughout the neoclassical interval it sounds as if have assumed that the English translators and adapters of Racine’s performs ordinarily succeeded in featuring the genuine Racine to the English public. Katherine Wheatley the following finds the large discrepancy among avowed intentions and genuine effects.
The assumption of contagious transmission, both by way of fabric debris or by way of infectious principles, has performed a robust function within the improvement of the Western international on the grounds that antiquity. but it got fairly an actual signature through the strategy of medical and cultural differentiation within the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
- Sylvia Plath: An Introduction to the Poetry
- George Meredith: The Critical Heritage: Volume 21 (The Collected Critical Heritage : Later 19th Century Novelists)
- The Letters of Gertrude Stein and Carl Van Vechten, 1913-1946: Two Volumes (NONE)
- Pathologies of Paradise: Caribbean Detours (New World Studies)
Additional resources for A Companion to Virginia Woolf (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to Virginia Woolf (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by Jessica Berman