By M. A. R. Habib
- Supplies the cultural, old and philosophical heritage to the literary feedback of every era
- Enables scholars to work out the improvement of literary feedback in context
- Organised chronologically, from classical literary feedback via to deconstruction
- Considers quite a lot of thinkers and occasions from the French Revolution to Freud’s perspectives on civilization
- Can be used along any anthology of literary feedback or as a coherent stand-alone introduction
Read or Download A History of Literary Criticism and Theory: From Plato to the Present PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
Selection striking educational identify 2014In Poe and the Subversion of yank Literature, Robert T. Tally Jr. argues that Edgar Allan Poe is better understood, no longer only as a skilled artist or canny magazinist, yet basically as a pragmatic joker who employs satire and delusion to poke enjoyable at an emergent nationalist discourse circulating within the usa.
Shakespeare's sonnets and A Lover's criticism represent a wealthy tapestry of rhetorical play approximately Renaissance love in all its guises. an important strand of this non secular alchemy is operating the 'metal' of the brain via meditation on love, reminiscence paintings and excessive mind's eye. Healy demonstrates how this technique of anguished soul paintings – construed as necessary to encouraged poetic making – is woven into those poems, accounting for his or her so much enigmatic imagery and urgency of tone.
Literary historians and critics who've written at the impact of Racine in England through the neoclassical interval it sounds as if have assumed that the English translators and adapters of Racine’s performs more often than not succeeded in offering the true Racine to the English public. Katherine Wheatley right here unearths the huge discrepancy among avowed intentions and genuine effects.
The assumption of contagious transmission, both through fabric debris or by way of infectious principles, has performed a robust function within the improvement of the Western global given that antiquity. but it got fairly an actual signature through the means of clinical and cultural differentiation within the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
- Sophocles' Oedipus Rex (Bloom's Modern Critical Interpretations (Hardcover))
- Scott Turow: A Critical Companion (Critical Companions to Popular Contemporary Writers)
- The Transcultural Turn: Interrogating Memory Between and Beyond Borders (Media and Cultural Memory / Medien und kulturelle Erinnerung)
- The American Counterfeit: Authenticity and Identity in American Literature and Culture (Amer Lit Realism & Naturalism)
- Transpacific Displacement: Ethnography, Translation, and Intertextual Travel in Twentieth-Century American Literature
Extra info for A History of Literary Criticism and Theory: From Plato to the Present
A History of Literary Criticism and Theory: From Plato to the Present by M. A. R. Habib